Dating durrus Internet date xxx video
This moved to Moulivard to take advantage of the water power of Four Mile Water and the mill race is still visible in Ballinvillen (townland of the mill).
Moulivard Church was in good repair in 1639 and in use mid-17th century but according to Brady was in ruins by 1699.
There is also a local tradition that a priest was hanged from a tree on the back road near Durrus Court, there were episodes of ‘priest-catchers’ in 1707, 17. In 1820 he started the parish register of births, marriages and deaths.
On the coast near Kilcrohane is an area Coosataggart (Cuas an t Sagairt) where priests reputedly used to hide in a cave in Penal times. In 1835 his house was described as’ a whitewashed cottage embosomed in its snug and thriving orchard, standing further inland among verdant meadows’.
Another cross of this type is in Cape Clear and may denote an old monastic settlement.
There had been a monastic settlement at Scartbawn under the patronage of the Mac Carthy (Teig Rua sept) who had a castle in the area.
The former church at Chapel Rock (on the site of the present National School) was built by Fr. It was replaced when the Church of the Sacred Heart was built in 1901.On St John’s Eve an open air mass is celebrated each year.The stone table used otherwise for coffins is used and in the course of the mass parishioners call out the names of family members buried in the graveyard for prayers In the 1730s the Franciscans had a limited presence in West Cork site of their former monasteries.Watson of Youghal, iron work by Messrs Mc Gloughlin Dublin, the pulpit by Richard Power, Bantry.
There is a mural tablet to the Blair family of Blair’s cove and outside a Celtic cross in memory of the Tobin family in Irish and English.
The Southern Star in a report praised the generosity of the Earl of Bandon for providing the site in contrast to Lady Bandon recently deceased who was accused of proselytizing in Durrus and Ballineen..